Games of the XXVIII Olympiad
I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!
It was a splendid opening ceremony, probably because I didn't expect much after the mini preview the Greeks gave at the Sydney closing ceremony. I thought the presentation of Greek culture would be a boring affair but they certainly proved me wrong. From Alexander the Great, Hercules and Cupid to the geometric and mathematical era, the procession of images from pre-historic ancient Greece (Greek methodology, heroes, architecture, runners, wrestlers, ancient events of discus throwing, javeline and weightlifting, the saffron gatherers, theater) to modern times was pleasantly entertaining. I like the costumes and choreography. The highlight has definitely gotta be the water feature in the middle of the stadium. I don't think anyone has ever done that before. There always is a deep anticipation of how the cauldron would look like. This year's rocket-like (YK says it looks like a needle) design isn't bad at all compared to Sydney's flying saucer. This year's Mascots are inspired by geometric dolls - Phevos (god of light and music) in blue and Athena (goddess of wisdom) in orange. A nice display representing the milky way was depicted in the Olympics - lights transmitting strands of DNA representing each and every one of our unique qualities. I found it interesting how they used a geometric cube to symbolise the earth with a man walking around it. All in all, thumbs up to the choreography, graphics & video, costumes, set design, lighting and fireworks display. Bear in mind, this coming from a country who isn't exactly "rich" enough to afford a presentation of this scale.
I look forward to the parade of delegates after a whole hour of entertainment and speeches. Some may find it boring but I beg to differ. This year saw 202 nations parade in alphabetical order according to the Greek alphabet with DJ Tiesto spinning live dance music throughout the hour. A cool idea, in my opinion. Paying close attention to the parade brings fascinating tid-bits while broadens my not-very-wide geographical knowledge:
- there are islands with names like: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Saint Kitts and Nevis; and Sao Tome and Principe which is an island on the west coast of Africa.
- Kyrgyztan is the neighbour of Kazakhstan.
- Comoros is an Islamic country independent of France for 26 years, in the Mozambique channel, between Madagascar and the east coast of Africa.
- Liechtenstein, Benin and Nauru are countries I NOW know exist.
- Burundi was dancing their way in with high spirits.
- Bhutan's flag bearer looks a little like Zhang Zi-Yi.
- Sierra Leone is on the west coast of Africa.
- Djibouti (north eastern coast of Africa) is the only country represented by a single participant. A woman bearing her country's flag with pride.
- former East Timor is now known as Timor-Leste (portugese name).
I always get emotional watching the games. I remember staying glued to the TV in 1988 - when I was big enough to absorb what was going on for my first Olympics. Unity and victory inspires me. Hearing the host country bring the stadium down by cheering "Hellas! Hellas! Hellas!" (Greek for Greece) send chills up my spine the way it did four years ago when we cheered "Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!". To see tears of joy roll down the eyes of supporters and sportmen alike. The pressure, both physically and mentally. The challenge. The vision. The thrill.
I'll never forget the SPECTACULAR opening and closing ceremony at the Sydney Olympics. It is by far, the best. Call me bias and give me a reason to disagree. The team in Australia did a marvellous job! I dug my tapes out today and after four years, the show was still breathtaking. The excellent presentation of Australia's history and culture to Adam Garcia's (he's hot!) tap dancing, Olivia Newton-John and John Farnham signing "Dare To Dream", Vanessa Amorossi's powerful "Heroes Live Forever", Men At Work's 80s hit "Downunder" to Neighbours actress and British pop-dance queen Kylie Minogue and John Paul Young's "Love Is In The Air". Ah...beautiful.
Songs from the Olympics strike a chord with me. To this very day, I remember Seoul's Hand In Hand by heart. I remember my dad and I searching the whole Klang Valley for this song. Back then, there was no such thing as downloading of mp3s. In and out music stores we'd go and when we finally found it at the SS2 pasar malam (night market), we were ecstatic! We bought the cassette for only RM8.90.
See the fire in the sky. We feel the beating of our hearts together. This is our time to rise above. We know the chance is here to live forever, for all time. Hand in hand we stand, all across the land. We can make this world a better place in which to live. Hand in hand we stand, start to understand. Breaking down the walls that come between us for all time. Arirang.
At Barcelona, there was "Amigos Para Siempre". Celine Dion's "Power of the Dream" and Gloria Estefan's "Reach", hit me straight in the heart during the Atlanta games. But this year's Athens' theme isn't as strong. It somehow fails to provide that ummpphh! Edmund says it sounds like an Indian song. It pretty much reminds me of walking along Lonsdale Street (Greek street in Melbourne) and passing windows of shops filled with delicious Greek desserts. Bjork's "Oceania" was pretty alright. It's just not quite my cup of tea. If you'd to ask me, I think Fantasia Burino's "I Believe" makes for a perfect Olympic theme-song. Of course it won't apply to the Athens Olympics. But the powerful lyrics (by former American Idol finalist, Tamyra Gray) and melody - it's very driven...motivating...uplifting.
Have you ever reached a rainbow's end? And did you find your pot of gold? Ever catch a shooting star? Tell me how high did you soar? Ever felt like you were dreaming, just to find that you're awake? 'Cause that magic that surrounds you will pick you up and guide you on your way.
I can see it in the stars across the sky. Dreamt a hundred thousand dreams before and now I finally realise. You see, I've waited all my life for this moment to arrive and finally...I believe.
I believe in the impossible if I reach deep within my heart. Overcome any obstacle. Won't let this dream fall apart. See, I strive to be the very best. Shine my light for all to see. 'Cause anything is possible, when you believe. Yeah...
To me, the spirit of Olympics is about unity as much as it is, victory. It's about an individual as much as it is, teamwork. It's about a competitor as much as it is, the supporters. It's about pushing the limits. It's about giving the best. It's about not personally knowing an athlete yet sharing his/ her joy and pain.
I was with the official image sponsor, Kodak, during Malaysia's Commonwealth Games in 1998. The organising committee had visited our college in search for volunteers to help in many different avenues during the two weeks of the games. I thank God I was placed with the photography team and what's better, the E-Six team. E-6 is the department that processes slides and we're the only ones who can view full coloured negatives. I remember pulling out the first roll of slides taken at the opening ceremony, the winning slide of the track and field, the winning slide of swimming and the thousands of other slides processed throughout the wonderful time I spent in the lab. I remember what a great experience it was working with the American Kodak team along with some of my juniors and classmates from college. It was the satisfaction of teamwork.
In Sydney 2000, I remember the atmosphere at the Olympic village. The kick you get by just being there - it's such an experience! I remember seeing the cauldron and thinking to myself that it has come true - my dream to be at the Olympic games. I remember the McDonald's they built in the village. I remember the children running around, playing with the fountains and families talking walks from one stadium to another to catch the next event. I remember Sydney transformed into a sporting city with huge Coke tents around and parks being filled with clowns and circus performers. Today, I look at my torch relay collector's pins and photographs with pleasant memories.
I'd love to be at the Beijing Olympics 2008. Hmmm...we shall see.
I'll wrap this up by quoting Pindar, a Greek lyric poet from 5th century B.C.:
As in the daytime there is no star in the sky warmer and brighter than the sun, likewise there is no competition greater than the Olympic Games.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home