In Memoriam
I've just returned from Ipoh after attending the funeral of Jon's dad, Uncle Laurence. He was the world's founding father of digiscoping and a son, brother, husband, papa, uncle and friend of great passion and talent. He passed away peacefully at home in the presence of his family members on 19th September 2004 at 4.30a.m. after battling pancreatic cancer for one and a half years.
My dad had suggested that he and mum make a drive to Ipoh along with me but I had intended on taking a bus up to Ipoh myself. After trips to both the Puduraya and KTM bus stations, I found that the earliest ticket available on Tuesday morning wouldn't get me there in time for the cremation. Dad said he wouldn't mind a day trip to Ipoh and would like to go and pay his respects despite not knowing Jon's father well. So the Pih family left at 7.30am on Tuesday, 21st September 2004, destination: Ipoh.
Giving Jon one great big hug upon arrival was sublime and comforting. Personally, I feel that it's important for him to know that he has the support of friends who cares and is here for him.
At the crematorium, a lovely bird was spotted flying around the ceiling beams. It was Uncle Laurence's favourite bird (Jon, for the love of me, I can't recall its name). As I watched it fly freely around, I couldn't help but find it rather symbolic. Too bad none of our cameras could zoom enough to snap a shot of such beauty. Then it occured to us..."Ah, Laurence's digiscope". *smiles*
After the cremation, we headed to a nearby restaurant for chai (Chinese vegetarian food). My parents and I were honoured to sit in a table with some of Uncle Laurence's birdwatching buddies. Just listening to their many stories and fond memories left us with laughter and smiles, while Tristan, Jon and I were amazed at how the vegetarian dishes of made-believe fried fish and pork tasted like the real thing.
It was wonderful to see that we were surrounded with good vibes as Jon mentioned in his sms to me before I left Ipoh that afternoon. Sure, there will be tears, but there's also joy in peace and comfort of knowing that your loved one is no longer suffering in pain and has moved on for the better.
I wasn't very close to Jon's dad but I admired his beautiful gift. And I still do. This gift of his has touched lives all across the world from Thailand to France, Australia to the Netherlands, Singapore to Ireland...and he'll always be remembered as an artist who humbly shared his knowledge and love.
May God continue to bless and keep Aunty Audrey, Jonathan, Colin and Tristan from this day forward and may Uncle Laurence rest in peace.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home