posture

My attitude; my pose; my characteristic ways; my thoughts or behavior.

Would your eyes like midnight fireflies light up the trenches where our love lies?
~ Sarah McLachlan
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
~ Proverbs 31:30

Monday, October 11, 2004

R.I.P. Christopher Reeve




Can you read my mind? Do you know what it is you do to me? Don't know who you are. Just a friend from another star.

Here I am. Like a kid out of school. Holding hands with a god, I'm a fool.

Will you look at me? Quivering. Like a little girl, shivering. You can see right through me.

Can you read my mind? Can you picture the things I'm thinking of? Wondering why you are, all the wonderful things you are.

You can fly. You belong to the sky. You and I, could belong to each other.
If you need a friend, I'm the one to fly to.
If you need to be loved.
Here I am, read my mind.
~ love theme from Superman

This love song brings back fond memories of watching Superman on RTM channels in the 1980s. I remember Superman usually came on when we had those Dunhill Double Blockbuster nights. Christopher Reeve was the man - the geek in the office and hunk of a hero who instantly captured the heart of the then barely ten years old child I was. Little girls fell in love with Superman eventhough we didn't know what love really felt like back then. When he appeared at Lois's apartment and they both stood on the balcony and just before he took her flying around the world, he asked, "Ready?". Wow. It made me wish that I'd someday meet a guy from work who's a hunk of burning love exactly like that. Haha, red cape and all.

Christopher Reeve is a true classic. Like how Sir Sean Connery will always be the #1 James Bond to me. Although the baton has been passed down to Dean Cain (Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman), Tom Welling (Smallville) and probably more to come, Christopher Reeve will always be my ultimate Superman-Clark Kent. I had purchased Mr Reeve's book, Nothing Is Impossible as a gift for my cousin, Jonathan, on his 21st birthday last month. Reeve is nothing short of inspiring and one of the celebrities I look up to with admiration for his inner-strength and how he's turned and used his tragedy for the goodness of others through studies and research of paralysis. Respect goes out also to his wife, Dana, for standing by her man at his time of great need. Just last night, my parents and I watched Oprah featuring Barbara Walters. There was a short message shown with Christopher sending his best to Barbara and highlighting his physical and mental progress, family and life eversince his spinal chord injury, and that moved her to tears. This morning, I heard on the radio that he had passed away from heart attack.

It is sad to hear the demise of people you grew up listening to, watching and reading about. It makes me wonder a lot about time...life...love...and God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home