The woman with too many shoes
It was a nice sunny afternoon. Mum and dad had gone out to buy lunch and I decided to send my grimy car to the nearby neighbourhood carwash.
With a book, my car keys and mobile phone, seven Ringgit and my little 'wash-5-times-and-get-your-next-wash-free' card, I was set to go. There wasn't a mad crowd at noon and my car had immediate attention upon arrival. I parked it, got out, sat under the hut and started reading.
It was like any other normal carwash day. Everything went smoothly...the cleansing, drying, polishing, vacuuming...all right up till the moment they opened the car boot. They were shocked alright. No, they didn't find a dead body. What they did found instead was, to their utter horror, twelve pairs of ladies shoes, nicely arranged.
I happened to look up and away from my book that very second. There were around four guys working on my car. I saw the expression on their faces. I'm sure they wanted to laugh out loud. Some were giggling and their pearly whites were definitely sparkling against the sunshine. They looked at me. And I could only smile. At that very moment, it felt ridiculous. Not shameful but just very simply, ridiculous. I could imagine what was on their minds, "oh gawd, this girl has SO MANY shoes?!", "that is indeed A LOT of shoes!", "I doubt I even have that many pairs of shoes in ten years", "Maybe she sells shoes from her car?".
Haha, what happened tickled me. I bet they've given me a nickname, an instant title...and from this day on, pronounce me the official lady with too many shoes (in her car boot). :P
I must start taking my shoes out from the car. I remember Ronnie telling me how much his heart broke when his car got stolen and along with it went his 3 pairs of favourite Adidas and Pumas. The reason why my shoes are in my car and not at home isn't because I need spare ones when I'm on the road. Anyone in a right frame of mind does not need 12 spare shoes. :P Well, ladies and gentleman, the truth is...I've ran out of space at home to place my beloved footwear. And so, they have been kicked out of the house, homeless and in need of a hiding place.
I have to admit, I'm close to being one of those women who needs a whole room in her house specially dedicated to bags, shoes and other accessories...the key word being: close to. I know I'd be able to live without that one room although I'd prefer one. A small ceiling-to-floor built-in closet should suffice. And besides, I'm not really a bag lady. Ah, the irony of it all. ;)
Do not get me wrong, though. I'm not a Carrie Bradshaw - the lady who owns a hundred pairs of Manolo Blahniks and Jimmy Choos at USD$400/ pair and was subsequently unable to pay for her house while declaring herself to forever be The Old Woman Who Lived In Her Shoe. Now that's just sad and well, stupid. I bargain hunt for my shoes. I purchase only at marked down prices yet paying careful attention so as not to overlook comfort and style. I also don't buy just to be a walking advertisement for known brands when I'm aware that the heels and material is gonna cut through my skin and kill my posture. I do not subscribe to the chinese saying, Oi leng, moi meng ('want beauty, not life' - which translates loosely as the obsession of beauty/ vanity to the point that one would greatly sacrifice even if it meant a whole deal of pain).
As for the passion for shoes, I've been asked to explain it quite a number of times and the best example that seems to work, especially to those of the opposite sex, would be to imagine the association between women and shoes, like that of men and cars.
Men love cars. They love going to motorshows and exhibitions. They love staring deep into jpeg images of the latest models sent via e-mail or glossy pictures printed in magazines. They get a kick out of seeing that one beauty, shining in the showroom. A rush of adrenalin goes up their spine when sitting comfortably in the cars they love and taking them out for a spin. Some build glass cabinets in their living area to showcase their collection of miniature cars. Well guys, that's how women like me feel about shoes. The only distinct difference being... (drumroll...)
We can afford to buy more shoes than you can ever dream to buy those cars. heh heh. *snicker
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home